Considered the oldest church in New York state, the Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow was constructed in 1685. The church was featured in Washington Irving’s novel, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow which was adapted by Disney for the second half of the 1949 animated film, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. The church depicted in the animated film resembles this real-life one almost exactly.
The church’s 2.5-acre cemetery is the haunting grounds of the headless horseman, as well as the final resting place of Washington Irving. Irving was buried here in 1859 after suffering a heart attack in his nearby Sunnyside estate.
430 Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591